Prev: RE: [DSIII] Next: [AAR] Interrupted Negotiations [Looong]

Re: [DSIII]

From: Symon Cook <Symon@e...>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 20:29:18 +0000
Subject: Re: [DSIII]

In article <NGBBIHDGLAFCIONHDLINIELCCLAA.chuckparrott@earthlink.net>,
Chuck Parrott <chuckparrott@earthlink.net> writes
>> 6) Artillery toned down (combine current
>> artillery rules with the Gods Eye view and things
>> on the table get smashed rather easily)
>
>Modern artillery of today is pretty darn effective and timely. Most
problems
>of today's artillery is coordination and quantity. Everyone wants it
but
>there's only so much to go around. In the far future of DS, I would
imagine
>artillery will be even more accurate and deadly. But the problem of not
>enough when you need it will probably still be there. Wouldn't a better
>approach be to limit the availability rather than the destructiveness?
Plus
>given our battlefield 'eyes' with today's technology, far future 'god's
eye
>view' doesn't bother me much. I can envision commanders viewing
holotank
>simulations of the action much like we see it on the table top now.
>
>As an aside, one thing DS doesn't have is anti-artillery vehicles. I'm
not
>talking about counter-battery, but weapons that can shoot shells out of
the
>air. Since we have a couple of real life tests by militaries going on
for
>just that very thing, I don't think it's a far stretch to imagine in
200
>years the capability will be there.

Try this from my DS5W conversion. Sounds like what you are after.

Point Defence Systems Vs. Artillery

PDS may fire at artillery shells or submunitions in addition to
missiles. Any unit within the beaten zone of an artillery strike with
PDS may use it to engage incoming rounds. The target vehicle rolls a die
based on the level of its PDS with an automatic penalty of one die type
and the artillery uses a D10. If the artillery is of higher TL than the
PDS it gets a die type bonus. If it is lower TL it gets a penalty of one
die type. MRL artillery gets an additional favourable Die shift. If the
target vehicle roll exceeds the artillery roll then the artillery shell
has been shot down or sufficient submunitions have been destroyed to
negate the attack. Surrounding elements can still be affected by the
artillery if their PDS is unsuccessful in defending them. Note that when
the target of a converged sheaf, each firing element must be intercepted
separately.

Area defence Systems Vs. Artillery

ADS systems may also fire at artillery shells or submunitions in
addition to missiles. Any ADS unit within defensive range of the beaten
zone of an artillery strike may use it to engage incoming rounds
targeted on other units within that zone. The ADS system rolls a die
based on the level of its PDS with an automatic penalty of one die type,
further penalised by the number of targets it wished to protect. Again
the artillery uses a D10. If the artillery is of higher TL than the ADS
it gets a die type bonus. If it is lower TL it gets a penalty of one die
type. MRL artillery gets an additional favourable Die shift. If the ADS
roll exceeds the artillery roll then the artillery shell has been shot
down or sufficient submunitions have been destroyed to negate the
attack. Note that when the target of a converged sheaf, each firing
element must be intercepted separately and counts as an additional
target.

Cheers
--
Symon Cook (founder member of Camros)(The Campaign for Real Operating
Systems).

Roger Zelazny, Lord of Light. 1971.

Prev: RE: [DSIII] Next: [AAR] Interrupted Negotiations [Looong]