Prev: Re: GZG ECC VI has ended Next: Re: GZG ECC VI has ended

The scale of the future was Re: [OFFICIAL-COMMERCIAL] More Slammers figs out!

From: devans@n...
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:35:06 -0600
Subject: The scale of the future was Re: [OFFICIAL-COMMERCIAL] More Slammers figs out!

>I really don't want to be unpopular with this comment, but there is a
danger
>to producing the same vehicle in multiple scale.  I reference Agents of
>Gaming introduceing the Fleet Action scale, instantly killing off the
entire
>market for their full size line. This is the first thing they did to
kill
>themselves off.   That said, I prefer 15mm as I have thousands of other
15mm
>figures and lots of 15mm terrain.  I hate going to another scale.

You may have something, though there would be a STRONG argument for the
25's being too small, not too large, if you follow Foundry and other's
lead
in following the EE(tm).

Certainly, everyone wanting everything in three scales is a logistic
nightmare to try and fulfil. Individual figure addtions are one thing;
copying whole lines obviously involves numbers of moulds, storage, and
cataloging to boggle the mind. Ergo my tongue-in-cheek '15mm Kamarov',
though you have to admit it's an intriguing concept. ;->=

>AOG did not kill off their line by comming out with a smaller line of
>ships.
*snip*
>I did use the FA fighter  for both scales manly due to the fighters
looking "better"  and costing less...

I'm sure there were many reasons, Mr. Siebold; certainly figure
quality(and
the rep thereafter) at the beginning ended up being a drain til the end.
The figures WERE expensive unless you compared size and complexity to
much
of the competition, and you have to assume a lot of folks came to B5
Wars
newbies. I certainly have never made a secret of how difficult I found
the
rules to understand. I'm sure others can, if they continue OT, will,
make
suggestions for the above list.

Still, your fighter comment suggests some truth to Mr. Hillsgrove's
comment.

>So for example:
***snip of ships lists including 449 ships and 248 stands of fighters***

Painted metal?!?!? *gasp* *choke* *searching for nitroglycerine*

>Historical minatures have been using duplicate lines in multiple scale
>for many years
>     Essex duplicates in 15mm and 25m for most of their lines
>     Superior 1/1200 and 1/2400 scale ships
>     Old Glory may have split off their 15mm off but it still made in
>15mm and 25mm

And AD&D figs came out in 15mm, and though sought now, appear to have
been
a failure, while no threat to the 25mm range.

My impression is that now the Superior 1/1200 are mostly display models
with many other companies focusing on 1/2400; I'm hoping to do that with
my
several of my large AoG ships, if I ever get them painted up. Not that
1/1200-Dogger Bank on a quiet Sunday morning in an empty mall or factory
parking lot isn't a thing to behold...

Have you ever tried doing FA with large B5 Wars ships?

The_Beast

Prev: Re: GZG ECC VI has ended Next: Re: GZG ECC VI has ended