Prev: RE: What scale? Next: Re: Soap bubbles?

Re: E-bombs as Anti-PA, anti-electronic

From: Randall L Joiner <rljoiner@m...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:09:42 -0500
Subject: Re: E-bombs as Anti-PA, anti-electronic

Since EMP was figured out, they've been working on ways to deal with it
in electronics.  We have IC chips that are partially and in some cases
fully EMP proof.  They are expensive, but given the supposed cost of PA
to begin with, I'd have to bet they'd figure that was an issue and deal
with it.

B Lin wrote:

> http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/SciTech/iraq030218_Ebomb.html
>
> There is talk of using some experimental E-bombs in Iraq (EMP Bombs)
that will pump out hundreds of thousands or even a million watts of
microwave (electrical) power to burn out electronics.  The method to
protect electrical equipment is to contain it within a Faraday cage
which directs the generated pulse around the equipment into a ground.
Can PA be grounded or effectively shielded?  Would PA just be frozen as
all the motors and electronics burned out?  What about GEV or AG
vehicles?