Prev: Re: Soap bubbles? Next: Re: Dirtside chits

Re: Scale for SG

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:16:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Scale for SG

On Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:22:06 -0600, "Christopher K Smith"
<cksmith@olemiss.edu> wrote :

> > 6mm
> >
> > Pros: Figure to ground scale correct. Fast to
> > paint. Poses almost don't matter as figures are
> > so small. Cheap to buy, relative to larger scales.
> > Terrain plentiful from various manufacturers like
> > Brigade and GZG and others (incl Geo-Hex).
> > Let's you use far smaller trees/buildings etc.
> > thus again reducing cost.
> > Cons: Pretty darn small. Hard to do casualties
> > to infantry mounted in "clusters" on a penny or
> > equivalent base. Not quite as visual (IMHO).
>
> This goes along with the SJGames Ogre miniatures discussion as well.
> can't find a picture on the SJGames website, but I seem to remember
the
> Deluxe Orge package having infantry bases that allowed placing two or
three
> infantry figures on it, and then removing them.  Is this correct?  If
so has
> anyone used them in SG, or would this work?  I would like to get into
SG but
> I don't have the space, money, or painting skills to go 25mm.  This
may be
> odd, but I've always preferred a nice hexmap to actual miniature
terrain.
> I'm thinking some of my Battletech maps and some 6mm figures would
make a
> decent play area, and not take so much room (efficiency appartments
are kind
> of small don't cha know).

The figures won't "stick" unless you glue them in.  You could use
Fun-Tac, or (even
better) U-Knead-It to hold them in, but the point of contact is so small
that the hold
wouldn't be strong at all.

One of my unfinished projects (out of several hundred such projects) is
a set of infantry
to accompany an SJG "Ogrethulhu" miniature.

I'm using old Epic-scale plastic GW Chaos Marines for this, and what I
did was glue a
small washer to the base of each one.  I've got a lot of old refigerator
magnets somewhere
about, so I'm going to be cutting those up to create a base that an
entire squad can stick
to.

A similar trick would work fine for SGII, although I would recommend
painting the bases in
bright colors -- both to make them stand out on the tabletop, and to
make it clear which
particular unit a figure belongs to.

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: Soap bubbles? Next: Re: Dirtside chits