Prev: RE: [SG] Shotguns Next: Re: [SG] Shotguns

RE: [SG] Shotguns

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 11:26:46 -0700
Subject: RE: [SG] Shotguns

The answer is yes.  The next question is - is it useful?

The answer: maybe.  In general a shaped charge will penetrate at least
as much RHA as it's diameter.  Advanced explosives, metals and shaping
patterns can vastly improve on this. So a 20mm HEAT will penetrate
roughly 20mm RHA.  With mixed ceramic/metal armors (Chobham)
shaped-charge warheads are much less effective, which is why tank guns
usually use APFSDS and AT missiles have big (8" wide) diameters and now,
double HEAT charges.

You might be able to squeeze an APFSDS into a shotgun shell, although to
get the velocity necessary you'd have one heck of a kick.

You might also try one of the taper-bore "squeeze" guns, basically an
early form of sabot ammo where you have a tungsten core surrounded with
a lead "skirt".  You fire the round (say 12.7mm at the start) and the
bore gets skinnier towards the end. As the bullet passes down the
narrowing bore, the lead skirt compresses and maintains the seal and you
maintain higher barrel pressure for a longer time, imparting more
energy.  The final bullet is only 7.62 but has a much higher velocity
than normal.

Has anyone seen the SLAP round for the .50 Barrett?  I saw a Marine
Sniper School training video once and they demonstrated the SLAP round -
at 100m it went though both sides (front and back) of a commercial safe.
 Don't think you can armor a guy enough to stop that kind of
penetration.

--Binhan

<<SNIP>>