Prev: RE: [SG] Shotguns Next: RE: [SG] Shotguns

RE: [SG] Shotguns

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:55:38 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Shotguns

At 12:41 PM -0500 2/14/03, laserlight@quixnet.net wrote:
>  >However I have to question it being better then an assault rifle
against
>something like powered armor, unless of course you are using solid
slugs ;)

>So instead of having, say, d10 Impact, it might be 3 x d4 (each applied
>separately) or something similar--still bad news if you're unarmored
but
>not so much of a problem if you're a walking tank.

One would have the ability to fabricate some kind of sabot penetrator
fired out of say, belted 3" magnums even in these days that would
have a serious kick, but also serious penetration. One could turn
out, even today, a tungsten, steel or some other hard penetrator and
load it into a shot shell. There isn't hardly a call for any of that
right now, but if armored beasts were a threat, you can bet it'd turn
up. Far more powder cross section and decreased density. One could
even use small HEAT warheads (perhaps a problem to use close up for
the firing soldier).

One has to wonder what off world colonists with beasts not unlike a
Cap Buffalo would turn out for personal weapons. They could have a
penetration edge against PA that would likely give PA users a bit of
pause. 800 Nitro Express for the 2183 period anyone? A heck of a
kick, but it'll take down an elephant. PA shouldn't be a problem.

Of course, surviving the return fire would be the hard part.
Colonists would get a shot or two before they were a mist. Still,
having the state of mind to drop a large scary beast charging you out
of the brush can't be all that different from having steely nerve
when assaulted by power armor. Perhaps there's a modifier for
confidence tests when the militia has experience with big mean nasty
Cape-Lizards.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: RE: [SG] Shotguns Next: RE: [SG] Shotguns