Prev: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV

Re: [FT] Points balance was: CPV vs. NPV

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:45:40 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: [FT] Points balance was: CPV vs. NPV

Hugh Fisher schrieb:

>  Unlike the massed fighter issue, is this large/small
>  ship imbalance something that needs to be solved?
>
>  If a well-handled dreadnaught always beats the same
> points value of well-handled cruisers or destroyers, isn't
> that what ought to happen? To me it is only a genuine
> imbalance if well-handled lighter ships can't beat a badly
> handled bigger one.

Err...
The points value are supposed to be balanced, by definition. So as to
result in a fair game.

No other purpose in terms of 'realism' or whatever.

>  In history from at least the time of Nelson on a
> battleship  beats up the cruisers and frigates and big battleships
> beat up smaller ones. And this 'concentration of force' rule,
> or just expectation, is carried over into in science
> fiction as well: Honor Harrington, Star Trek, Babylon 5,
> CoDominion, Star Wars.

Any time ? Any number of small ships ? Any weaponry ?
In 20th century naval warfare, torpedos and missiles could be pretty
nasty for the big boys, for example.
Not to mention "Fighters" ;-)

>  Putting it another way, what's the point in being an
> evil overlord if you can't build monster warships to
> annihilate your puny foes while laughing at their futile efforts?

If your players accept that, fine. But then you could equally say: "I'm
the Evil Overlord, I will bring 50% more points to the game"

And don't forget the Good side of the Force !
BOOM ! goes the Death Star.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV Next: Re: [FT] CPV vs. NPV