Prev: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 05:24:18 PST
Subject: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

MAximum range of a 16" weapon is ?  (Largest allied weapon)

How often was Germany shelled from sea in WW2?

The key difference was that a limited shoreline is more defensible than
an entire planet.  Any shore line is more defensible than an entire
planet.

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:29:49 -0500 "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com>
writes:
>> Because it makes it much harder to justify ground combat.
>
>Something usually survives just about any bombardment shy of
>sterilization
>with nukes.

One word - Kravak.  Did they invade (more than the one story out on the
web (which is unofficial??) ?)	or just 'sterilize' planets?

So there will be something to mop...

>> True but they didn't reach into the country's interior.
>
>That's because only Japan was completely surrounded by water and U.S.
>dropping nukes on them and the Soviets invading Manchuria and Sahalin
>Isaland, they surrendered before the U.S. invaded the main islands...
>
>ias

I work on the assumption that wars on earth and early in the trans-solar
period have resulted in an aversion to destroying a planet to capture
it.

Wackos in the tuffleyverse excepted.

Gracias,
Glenn

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com

Prev: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...