Prev: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: [SG2] TMP Poll

Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

From: Brian Bilderback <greywanderer987@y...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 11:36:55 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment...

--- "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com> wrote:
> I don't understand why so many players are dead set
> against standard ships being able to make orbital
> bombardments.  They happened all the time in WW1,
> WW2, Vietnam, etc.

With varying degrees of success (How many times have
you read historical accounts that contained phrases to
the effect of "The bombardment was supposed to
demolish enemy resistance, but when the troops finally
went ashore....")

Weapons can fall into one of two categories:
Generalized and specialized.  Specialized weapons are
designed to do a few things very well (often
frighteningly well), at the cost of doing other things
poorly or not at all.  Generalized weapons do many
things, but in a mediocre fashion.  Part of the PSB is
that FT weapons, while very deadly against space
targets, are just not designed with the mission of
hitting something on the ground while avoiding hitting
the friendly things nearby.  Maybe it's a Firecon
issue as much as a weapon type issue.  From a gaming
only standpoint, it's also a "too damned powerful"
issue, especially WRT campaign games and FT/DS tie-in
games.

You also have to ask yourself, what scale target, what
scale damage?  Something powerful enough to punch
through the atmosphere and obliterate a city
definitely sounds a little risky to use on a DS
battlefield - it sounds more like strategic weapons
than tactical.

=====
Qui me amat, amet et canem meum.

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: FT: Thought on Orbital Bombardment... Next: Re: [SG2] TMP Poll