Prev: Re: [OT] Canada was Space Programs was: Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Canada was Space Programs was: Columbia

Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:32:25 -0500
Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

> Launching missiles before you have cleared enemy Banzai Jammers away
> definitely qualifies as "launching too early". You launched before you
had
> cleared the enemy BJs away.
>
> The cost of launching too early in this fashion is that you risk
having
your
> missiles hit the BJs instead of the larger ships. You paid this cost
in
> full.
>
> In other words, you launched too early and paid the cost for it -
which is
> exactly what I wrote above :-7

Oh really?  Half my launchers DIED on the turn I launched.  If I had
waited,
it would have been even worse...  Sure I would have been able to burn
the
Lenov's down with beams, but that would be that many beams that didn't
fire
at his ships, and it would have made no difference in the number of
Salvo
missiles in my next barrage, except that one of his Beijing B ADFC's
would
have been still been arround to shoot them down...

> OK, I haven't faced this *exact* enemy fleet, but I have encountered
and
> defeated fleets which were quite similar. Eg., the ones that were
smashed
by
> my FSE forces in the above-mentioned AARs were NSL, but overall I'd
rate
> them as harder missile targets than the above ESU fleet: more point
and
area
> defences (in one of the AARed battles including a pair of interceptor
> squadrons), more direct-fire weapons to hurt the FSE ships, and
considerably
> more numerous and individually tougher Banzai Jammers making it very
much
> harder for the FSE to clear them away before launching missiles. The
NSL
> opening missile salvo wasn't quite as strong (4 and 5 SMLs
respectively,
> compared to the above ESU force's 8 SMRs), but I don't think that
another
> 3-4 salvoes in the NSL's initial launch would've changed the overall
outcome
> of the two AAR battles much.

They are when they hit the ships you can least afford to loose.

> If all you want is more escort variants, why don't you design those
for
> yourself? That's the reason why the Fleet Books include ship design
rules,
> you know... and also the reason why the Fleet Books explicitly state
that
> the designs shown therein are only a small subset of the designs used
by
the
> various powers <shrug>

I do.  They work against regular fleets.  We usually use FB ships and FB
ships that have been mentioned in the descriptions, and FB ships with
some
modifications (10% of mass, round up on ships of mass less then or equal
30, round down on ships over mass 30).	Usually the other guy has to
approve
of the modifications in advanced, but just because he approves a design
doesn't mean you bring that design to the floor...

ias

Prev: Re: [OT] Canada was Space Programs was: Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Canada was Space Programs was: Columbia