Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment Next: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 10:34:18 -0600
Subject: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]

On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:41:12 -0800, "Eric Foley" <stiltman@teleport.com>
wrote:

>I'm sorry, this is flat out wrong.

No, it's not, but I was implying FB ships, and I don't think that came
out
clearly. It's easy to build a ship that will defend against 15 or 20
fighter
squadrons... but it won't be much use against anything else.

>Bring twenty fighters, and your opponent brings
>about 50-60 scatterguns, and you're dead.

That's assuming you're using KV, isn't it? This gets you into the same
situation where you buy a scattergun only fleet to deal with soap bubble
carriers, which then puts you at risk to a fleet with long range beam
weapons,
which in turn is vulnerable to fighters.

For me, the fun is in fighting out the battle, not designing a "knock
out
fleet". It's the difference between enjoying playing a collectible card
game
more than enjoying building a collectible card game deck.

>So why are people not simply just throwing the scatterguns together and
>extending the digitus imputicus to the soap bubbles?

Because some of us find soap bubble versus scattergun games to be
boring? Just
as soap bubble versus any other fleet is boring? It starts to look a lot
like
a game of rock/paper/scissors. You brought your soap bubbles? I brought
scatterguns; I win. You brought scatterguns? I brought B4s; I win. You
brought
B4s? I brought soap bubbles; I win.

So, how does your group play? Do they just allow any design and hope
that they
chose the right specialization to win that battle? Or do you make some
sort of
announcement as the type of fleets to bring, and battle with similar
fleets?
For me, I usually cut to the chase and go with the latter idea of
"similar
fleets", the similiar fleets in this case being fleets out of the fleet
book.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: RE: Unsubing for deployment Next: Re: (fwd) Re: [FT] F***ters [was: Operational game]