Prev: Re: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs

Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs

From: "Kevin Balentine" <kevinbalentine@m...>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 11:23:29 -0600
Subject: Re: [OT] Fuel Cells was: Space Programs

Bush's program has two major parts:
The FreedomCAR program was launched in early 2002. It's goal is to
develop vehicle technologies, one of which is fuel cells. The program is
joint effort between the Big 3, suppliers and others and replaced
Clinton's
Partnership for a New Generation of Vehicles. Karl, the Big 3 includes
DaimlerChrysler (along with GM and Ford), so yes, they would be involved
in
this.

Bush wants to add FreedomFUEL, a companion program pushing hydrogen
fuel research (production, distribution and storage issues).

GM is already spending $100 million a year on this and will begin
testing a
fleet of 100 fuel cell-equipped Opel Zafira vans in Japan in June. I
think
FedEx will be using the vehicles.

The Honda program mentioned by Ryan will lease about 30 Honda FCX fuel
cell cars to public entities in Los Angeles and Japan.

The big holdup right now is the cost in precious metals, especially
platinum.
Masashi Arita from Nissan says it takes 80 to 100 grams of platinum to
make a fuel cell with the power output of 100 horsepower.

>And has the Bush administration suddenly become environmentally
>friendly ? Or have the big car maker started to holler for subsidies ?

I can't comment on the political machinations of the Bush
administration.
I've never found them to be overtly "friendly" to the environment. But
the
big car makers always holler for subsidies. Of all types. Hey, if it can
help
make fuel cells a reality, I won't complain.

Kevin Balentine
Automotive Writer
The Dallas Morning News

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de