Prev: Re: [OT] Columbia Next: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia

Re: [OT] Columbia

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:14:17 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Columbia

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Indy wrote:

> "laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:
> >
> > I have the opportunity to write an editorial on the benefits of the
space
> > program (ie "why spending it Up There makes more sense than putting
it into
> > social programs").	I can wander around the web looking for the data
but I
> > figured it's likely someone on this List can point me in the right
> > direction.	Suggestions?
>
> The Hubble.
>
> That's the best I can do offhand w/out doing a web search myself. :-/

I'd say that Hubble is a success purely as an asthetic project, a
producer
of fabulous images, in addition to it's more scientific achivements.
NASA
has sponsered space art projects in the past, but Hubble should go down
as their greatest to date!

My favourite Hubble image is that "deep star view" set - every little
dot
of light in it is an *entire*galaxy* - and the field of view of that
image
is about the same size as a grain of sand held at arm's length... wow.

Not scientific, but my $0.02,

Brian.

Prev: Re: [OT] Columbia Next: [OT] Space Programs was: Columbia