Prev: Re: [OT] Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Columbia

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: devans@n...
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:38:12 -0600
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

***
Is why I said "major".	I assume that if you use strategic-level
weapons,
the UN and everyone else is likely to be irritated with you.  I also
assume
that "limited war" means no one is trying to destroy national capitals,
etc
***

*I* knew what you meant. My liberal-tainted reality took it even
further:
if a fleet commander/ship's captain took it upon him/herself to break
these
restraints, any other power would be hard pressed to sanction her/him,
as
his/her own fleet would be hounds on the hunt. I'm envisioning a version
of
The Hunt for Red October.

This brought to my imagination several interesting scenerios, both for
play
and for story making, but never got further.

Please note a couple of codicles: what you do to your own colonies tends
go by a different judgement, if judged at all, and there's a decidedly
sliding scale: no military actions at all in the sol system, rigid
rules-of-engagement in the inner colonies, and much looser rules in the
far
outposts, though non-military assets still tend to get a free ride.

On the frontier, life is tough enough as it is. Nobody gets anything
done
if each are constantly 'p*ssing in each other's corn flakes'.

The IMVHO optimistic growth curves observed seem to support a long
period
of such restraint.

Until the time of FB2, of course...

The_Beast

Prev: Re: [OT] Columbia Next: Re: [OT] Columbia