Prev: Re: Very Bad News Next: Re: GZG ECC Scenario Q:s.

Re: [FT] Operational game

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 14:03:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [FT] Operational game

Okay, thus far we have these assumptions:
1.  This is limited war, so we don't have to deal with major planetary
bombardment/asteroid strikes / nukes / biowar etc.
2.  Normal starships are not effective against planetary surfaces;
this means that capturing planets must be done by ground troops,
possibly with support from specialized ortillery ships.

So there can be strikes against orbital facilities, but no conquest
unless the invader sticks around for a while.  This makes it possible
for the native to mass his own fleet to respond.  In addition, we have
lines of supply for the invasion (and for the natives) so both sides
can have a hand at commerce raiding.

Should we have various "Blockade" states?  eg
a. Assault Orbit: ortillery can make attacks on the surface; surface
weapons emplacements can engage ships.
b. Close Blockade: outside direct fire range of surface installations;
within range of orbital defenses and fighters; high probability of
intercepting freighters/smuggler
c. Far Blockade: outside range of orbital defense installations but
within range of fighters; moderate chance of intercepting convoys.
d. Raiding: Outside the range of all planetary defenses including
fighters; small chance of intercepting shipments.
e. Lurking: attempting to avoid contact with any enemy ships whether
armed or not, but capable of reconnaisance
g. Hidden: no contact including recon.

We could then have a roll for each force with DRMs for posture,
thrust, sensors, and admiral quality; whoever wins the roll has the
choice of making contact.

Prev: Re: Very Bad News Next: Re: GZG ECC Scenario Q:s.