Prev: Re: OT: Casting figs Next: Re: [FT] Operational game

Operational Game

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:02:19 -0500
Subject: Operational Game

It seems to me a lot of ideas have flown
around, some of which apply to the Operational
Game, some of which apply to Strategic Game
and some of which apply to both. Furthermore,
the ways in which these ideas apply from level
to level varies.

It seems to me that a Stategic Level game has
real questions of logistics, economics,
resources, politics, etc. This is the level at which
political decisions are made, at which resources
are allocated for construction, where large front-
wide logistics are carried out, etc. It is also the
place where you conquer things and gain
something from doing so. At any lower level,
the time frame will be to short to reap any in-
game benefit from capturing facilities,
population or production bases.

On the operational level, things work differently.
Politics plays a role (ROE and Victory Point
restrictions). Economics plays a role only
insofar as it may provide VP restrictions (ie
identify what is worth having) and may
determine how big the force you arrive with is
or how many reinforcements you could expect.
Logistics might play a minimal role, but at this
level you can expect fleet colliers and
replenishment vessels to resupply fighting ships.
Construction would be non-existent and repairs
would be limited to a small amount that a
portable Fleet Repair Dock would allow. Major
damage would put ships right out of the game
for all intents and purposes.

So what are the design factors for an
operational level game?

Time: say 0.5 to 2 days per turn.

Distance: I'm thinking the map has to at least
represent the inner system, possibly the whole
system, even if it is an abstraction.

Fleet sizes: Unless you're assaulting a core
world or an inner colony, I'd imagine you'd be
looking at not more than 10K points in your
incoming fleet. 5K might be more likely.

Reinforcements: The attacker probably has
mostly scheduled reinforcements, the defender
random (relief forces or rapid reaction forces
arriving when they can, though he should be
allowed to let them build off-map so they don't
have to arrive piecemeal).

Logistics: Assume each fleet is accompanied by
colliers (these should be represented, but not
paid for I think). Also provide some limited
repair facilities. The colliers would resupply
expendables (fighters, missiles, subpacks, etc)
and provide raw materials for repairs (replacing
armour, hull, and internal systems). Losing
them (if the enemy can get to them) will result
in the loss of repair/replacement ability (or the
attriting of same). These need to be modelled
because hitting them will be an important
target. Also, the decision to play them deeper
in system (more vulnerable, but faster to
access) or further out system (less vulnerable,
but longer to and fro times for ships being
resupplied) will be an important one.

The defender, defending a base or system,
should have a smaller fleet, but may have even
better resupply, repair rates (if he can hold his
stations or meaningful orbital superiority).

Minefields would only be useful in areas
immediately surrounding objectives. Space is
just too big otherwise. Fighters similarly are
likely to be deployed at planets, moons, bases,
etc.

At this level, fog of war is pretty much critical,
as is proper rules for recce and scouting. This
explains why fleets bring small units and
sometimes why they are forced to disperse
some of their combat strength. Without the fog
of war, people know things which let them make
decisions about concentration that they
realistically could never make. Additionally, this
adds a lot to the challenge for the defender
(where is the attack coming from? Which one is
a feint? Do I go out to meet it to protect the
planet from bombardment? Or is it not the real
threat?) and to the attacker (where are his
defenses? has he added new ones since my last
intel appreciation? has he hidden forces I don't
expect?).

VPs should be assigned by objectives and both
sides don't necessarily have to apprise
objectives the same value. Also, throwing in
some randomness in forces (card draws like
Charlie Company used might be one idea) so
that it is just possible the attacking force is
about to walk into a fleet of the wall the
defender was rotating through the system or
maybe the defender had just pulled out half his
mobile defense assets.... that really adds a lot
to the flavour and fun. The trick is in establishing
a VP scheme for the game that means that it
isn't whether the battles are fair or not, but if
the defender uses what he has (or the attacker
does) most wisely.

This is a tough thing to do, generically, doubly
so without a referee. The referee can add in a
lot of judgement. To just make it a hard and
fast rules situation.... that's tough.

Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: OT: Casting figs Next: Re: [FT] Operational game