Prev: RE: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?

Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?

From: bbrush@u...
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:12:04 -0600
Subject: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?

I've read the Posleen series and I've enjoyed it, but Ringo has made the
"weakness" of the God Kings a little too obvious in the last book.

Point:	The auto-targeting on the saucers is effective against any
guided
munitions, as shown by their destruction of the sensor artillery shell
in
the last book, so SADARM isn't going to work against them.

Point:	The auto-targeting can't hit regular artillery shells.

Point:	The auto-targeting can hit snipers using  camo and IR blocking
as
shown in the first book.

Point:	The auto-targeting could not hit the scout in the last book
after
he had been hit with an EMP device.

Therefore the autotargeting is based on electrical signature.  Any
non-electrical fire control is going to be "invisible" and will rip up
the
Posleens.

So, as one guy suggested in book 3, you get a bunch of old fashioned
Browning .30's and such and go to town on them.

Just my deduction based on my reading but I'm guessing that someone will
pick up on it in the 4th book.

All in all it's a very good series, but I'm a little disgusted that the
auto-targetings Achilles heel is made so obvious, yet the good guys
don't
pick up on it.

Bill

		      owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.B

		      erkeley.EDU (The GZG Digest)	   To:
gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU
		      Sent by:				   cc:

		      owner-gzg-digest@lists.CSUA.B	   Subject:  The
GZG Digest V2 #1472
		      erkeley.EDU

		      01/24/2003 01:00 AM

		      Please respond to gzg-l

The GZG Digest	     Thursday, January 23 2003	     Volume 02 : Number
1472

The following subjects are discussed in this issue:
 -

Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?
 -
See the end of the digest for information on unsubscribing to the
GZG digest list, or subscribing to the GZG main list.
 -

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:06:40 -0800 (PST)
From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

- --- Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> The big issue is one of supply and sustaining the
> observation for the
> artillery. UAVs are toast as soon as they break the
> horizon. Single
> weapons delivered by artillery are as well. My
> understanding is that
> you could plaster a posleen force on the ground with
> all the
> artillery in a corps and run clean out of ammo and
> still not get all
> of them.

Battery 3.  That's 18 rounds.  1 is SADARM, 17 are
cheap HE. The God-King buys it, and a couple others
are dead, but that GK's retinue are also suddendy
about as combat effective as so many dogs.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 20:13:43 -0800 (PST)
From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

- --- Ryan M Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com> wrote:

> I get the impression that the God Kings are
> amazingly numerous. The

Less than 100K.

> main problem is that the landings pretty much
> severed a large portion
> of transport capability across the planet making
> ground transport
> through certain areas and cutting off logistics to
> certain types of
> munitions.

Preposition loads of 'em everywhere.  That EN BN in
Fredricksburg (coincidentally, my old National Guard
unit) should have had a couple hundred on pallets
waiting for a chance to use 'em.

> The problem with any possleen force is that they
> present a huge
> direct fire threat to any unit near them that
> unmasks. The foot
> troops that are armed with the mass drivers and
> other weapons tend to
> make MBTs brew pretty fast under a large mass of
> fire.

OK, but STAFF and SADARM are OTH threats.  Which
Posleen can't handle.

> >Mr. Ringo is an excellent writer, but he's an Light
> >Infantryman of 20 years ago and doesn't really grok
> >how the modern battlefield works.
>
> Hmm, perhaps you could offer thoughts and ideas?
> I've been to several
> sit down type book sign-ings with the guy and he's
> quite interesting
> and personable. Very approachable.

He's not going to adopt an idea that makes his premise
obsolete.

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:20:56 -0500
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>

> > >Mr. Ringo is an excellent writer, but he's an Light
> > >Infantryman of 20 years ago and doesn't really grok
> > >how the modern battlefield works.
> >
> > Hmm, perhaps you could offer thoughts and ideas?
> > I've been to several
> > sit down type book sign-ings with the guy and he's
> > quite interesting
> > and personable. Very approachable.
>
> He's not going to adopt an idea that makes his premise
> obsolete.

<shrug> You just work it into the next book--along with a Postie
countermeasure.
For instance, instead of expending snipers, hook up a cheap video cam
to one of those automated guns aka manjacks.  Sniper can sit a safe
distance away and still target the God Kings.
____________________________

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 07:09:11 +0100
From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>

John Atkinson wrote:

>Here's the problem with the Posleen:  There are a LOT
>of non-LOS methods of taking out God-King floaters
>that would IRL mean that they would be more or less a
>nuisance, not a force capable of conquering most of
>the planet.

Exactly *how* good are the Posleen God-Kings in their ZAD role? (I
haven't
had time to read the books, so I don't know.)

If they're comparable to or better than the THEL (currently under
development), then any PGM-based ways to kill them are quite seriously
degraded.

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- -Hen3ry

------------------------------
------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:49:00 -0500
From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@mindspring.com>

At 7:09 AM +0100 1/24/03, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>Exactly *how* good are the Posleen God-Kings in their ZAD role? (I
>haven't had time to read the books, so I don't know.)

If an F-18 breaks the horizon, their life span is measured in
seconds. The posties have direct line of sight KE weapons that will
slag an Abrams from the front. As the book says, "...the God Kings,
whose weapons are automatically targeted and frighteningly accurate.
They;re accurate enough to act as antiaircraft fire against stealth
fighters, for God's sake."

For something like 500 million Posleen in a force, you'll have nearly
5000 God Kings.

>If they're comparable to or better than the THEL (currently under
>development), then any PGM-based ways to kill them are quite
>seriously degraded.

Additionally, anything the God Kings start firing at, their Oolts
will start shooting at. "The Posleen three millimeter railguns go
through Bradleys the long way and about one in ten carry a
hypervelocity missile launcher, which will take out an Abrams with a
frontal hit. Wheile they're 'unaimed,' what the term actually means
is that the weapons don't have sights." "However, the Posleen seem to
be naturals at firing from the hip."

See http://www.baen.com/library/0671318411/0671318411.htm for the
first book in the series on line. You can get it in HTML, RTF, Palm
Rocket Book and MS Reader formats.

Prev: RE: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?