Prev: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?

Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 01:22:16 -0500
Subject: Re: DSII: Command Unit Question

At 9:44 PM -0800 1/23/03, John Atkinson wrote:

>>  You can get three squads in such a vehicle.  I
>
>Three teams.

Sorry, Ill chosen word.

>Actual capacity of a size 3 vehicle is 15 men.  Minus
>whatever room you use for weapons et al.  But my
>comment is from having been inside an M-577 and an
>M-1068 both.

I figure that your bargan size M113 is size 1 or 2 when you get down
to the hard number. I'd say size 2. Though thinking about it, that'd
makes the Saracen more a size 2. So an Abrams is size 3....

>They get really crowded if you get more than a couple
>guys in there moving around at the same time. Put up
>mapboards etc?

Electronic ultra flat displays, holo-boards that don't need lots of
space.

>You can pack infantry privates like sardines if all
>you expect them to do is ride quietly until it's time
>to get out and earn their paychecks.  You can't stuff
>majors and captains in like that, along with a couple
>cubic feet of computer, and then expect them to fight
>a battalion!

Granted, however, computers by that point ought to be bloody small. I
have a work station at work that I could fit 6 people in with packs
and all. I have more than enough room for the functions I do with
much larger computers and lots of stowage of gear that I use for my
job. Now, I envision that by 2183 a staff of 2-3 officers and one
senior officer can fit into the space that 3 teams of men would fit
into. The radios don't need to be huge, you don't need large boards
and overlays to get the picture because the holo suite can be
projected on your eye or in the air in front of you.

Figure that basic AI's will get to the size of a pack of cigarettes
by then. Com gear should be tiny. Most of this gear should be able to
allow a small staff to coordinate most of the things that you need to
get routed. All of the basic logistic's details would be handled by
the AIs allowing the commanders to coordinate and decide what needs
to be.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures? Next: Re: Posleen/HymnB4Battle Figures?