Prev: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03 Next: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03

Re: [OT] Bravo Zulu

From: Aaron Teske <mithramuse@n...>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 21:13:45 -0500
Subject: Re: [OT] Bravo Zulu

At 08:59 AM 1/16/03 -0500, you wrote:
>"laserlight@quixnet.net" wrote:
> >
> > The term originates from the Allied Signals Book (ATP 1). Signals
are sent
> > as letters and/or numbers, which have meanings by themselves
sometimes or
> > in certain combinations. A single table in ATP 1 is called
"governing
> > groups," that is, the entire signal that follows the governing group
is to
> > be performed according to the "governor." The letter "B" indicates
this
> > table, and the second letter (A through Z) gives more specific
information.
> > For example, "BA" might mean "You have permission to . . . (do
whatever the
> > rest of the flashing light, flag hoist or radio transmission says)
"BZ"
> > happens to be the last item in the governing groups table. It means
"well
> > done."
>
>As per http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/questions/bzulu.html ?  ;-)
>
>Mk

Having recently read the Lensman books, is Smith's use of "QX" based on
real codes, made up from something like the above, or just wholly
invented?  It is pretty obvious what it *means* but I'm curious if
anyone
has any insight as to whether it really "came from" someplace.

					 Aaron Teske
					 mithramuse@njaccess.com

Prev: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03 Next: Re: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03