Prev: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03 Next: Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations

Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations

From: Phillip Atcliffe <Phillip.Atcliffe@u...>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:28:04 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:26:31 -0500 Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca>
wrote:

> Not that anyone would notice (*grin*) but the Canadian Forces (the
Army Part) uses:

[Snip enlisted and field officer ranks]

> Brigadier General
> Major General
> Lieutenant General
> General

Are you sure that Lt Gen and General are in the right order? I ask
because, IIRC, the Pom army (and, supposedly, those who follow their
practise) has it the other way around, i.e., above Colonel, the order
goes:

Brigadier
Major General
General
Lieutenant General
Field Marshal

Of course, Canada could well do its own thing, as they have, for
instance, in introducing Master Corporal/Bombadiers and using the Yank
"Brigadier General"... but I was curious.

What ranks do the Canadian Air Force use these days?

Phil
----
(Dr) P.A. Atcliffe
Senior Lecturer
Faculty of Computing, Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
University of the West of England, Bristol
Phone: +44 (0)117 344 2496
Fax:   +44 (0)117 344 3800
Email: Phillip.Atcliffe@uwe.ac.uk

Prev: UFTWWWP Update: 1-16-03 Next: Re: [Service] Ranks and Designations