Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: [OT] Satellites and Xmas

[OT] Satellites and Xmas

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 13:48:02 -0500
Subject: [OT] Satellites and Xmas

1. Merry Xmas, Happy New Year, or Holiday of
Choice, to all! Look forward to seeing many of
you again in 2003 at ECC!

2. Alan: I understand what you're saying about
re-use and testability. OTOH, if the common
components happen to have a missed glitch, it
can hit entire systems (when IE has a bug, it
affects millions of users, when IIS has a bug, it
affects millions of servers, etc). Probably good
system design involves re-use, good code
inspection, great testing, and enough
heterogenous aspects to make single points of
failure unlikely. (ie it tends to be a good thing
to have *NIX boxes out there, because they
tend to be immune to some of the things that
kill Windoze boxes and vice versa).

3. KHR said:
I guess anybody who re-invents the wheel
thinks he is damn clever :-)
[Tomb] Yes, but..... as someone who has
developed large software systems,
sometimes someone has implemented
something off somewhere in a module but
not well publicized it, and you need a
method, so you implement it, then later
someone finally says (usually long past
when it would have been a useful piece of
data) "I think someone.... dunno who....
implemented it.... somewhere else... or
something like it....".

And then you find out that perhaps you
*have* reinvented the wheel, but it really
doesn't make you any less clever
necessarily. Just somewhat ignorant of
prior developments, but with the amount of
development going on in one project (let
alone the sum total of the publicly
accessible Internet), does this really
surprise anyone?

I think this is just one of the great hazards
of information overload/mass-availability.
There is, after all, a rather important
distinction between knowing someone,
somewhere has probably solved the same
problem as you and knowing who it was
and where they did it and what their
solution was.

:)
Mr. Thomas Barclay
Software Developer & Systems Analyst
thomas.barclay@stargrunt.ca

Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: [OT] Satellites and Xmas