Prev: RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships Next: Re: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships

RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:53:33 -0700
Subject: RE: [FT] Enabling "Defense" Scenarios: Eclipsing ships

Perhaps something more like ST - Assume that shields or other projected
defenses extend a considerable amount into space - perhaps tens of kms.
The protecting ship adds it's defenses to the target ship - i.e. a
destroyer with shield 1 would add one shield to a cruiser that it's
protecting, still max 2, but then you get some redundancy and big ships,
like BB's can effectively shield smaller ships.  This would provide
another reason to equip ships with shields, vapor shrouds etc.

You'd need some type of rule such as shields can only be extended 2
units away, so the shielding ship must be close to the ship/object being
protected.

You might then develop a line of "Aegis" shield cruisers equipped with
Level 2 shields and ADS to the brim.  Very little offensive power, but
able to interpose themselves to defend against beams and missiles.

--Binhan

<<SNIP>>