Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: Limits of technology

Re: [ISO] Ca Oz

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 11:02:39 +1100
Subject: Re: [ISO] Ca Oz

From: <laserlight@quixnet.net>

> >To be honest, I always thought that the country codes should have
been
two
> or three letters, as .can is far more recognizable as Canada than .ca.
You'd
> still have Austria and Australia confused, though...
>
> australia.oz, perhaps...

In the Old ARPANET days, the Australian subdomain was .oz
I believe (but am not sure) that it was the first subdomain outside the
US.

Until recently, there were still some .oz domain names still around.
For example, the ADFA (Australian Defence Force Academy) address was
adfa.oz, then adfa.oz.au, now adfa.edu.au
See http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/oz_redirect.html

See also http://www.aunic.net/policies.html

.oz.au

The .oz.au subdomain has been delegated to Robert Elz
(kre@munnari.oz.au).

The domain was Australia's first domain and originally devised to
register
names of those entities operating within the ACSnet network, and
continues
to be used to register those entities who are visible within the ACSnet
network domain. Registration of a name within this domain is only
undertaken
once the name is visible on the ACSnet network.

This domain is gradually shrinking as less sites are connected to
ACSnet.

Prev: Re: Limits of technology Next: Re: Limits of technology