Prev: Subject: Re: Neo-Punic Wars Next: RE: Neo-Punic Wars, was Re: [FAQ] FH what? ...

Re: Subject: Re: Neo-Punic Wars

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:22:00 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Neo-Punic Wars

--- Tim Bancroft <tim@dragonshome.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> >Also the Dutch, and IIRC the Portugese empires were
> >along those lines
> And whilst we may not be prepared to admit it, the
> British Empire was
> primarily trade - don'e forget the Honourable East
> India Company and the
> C18 and C19 wars.

Of course.  But the Brits tended to enforce their rule
with their own troops, and natives led by officers.
There were also some Brit colonies where Brits
displaced the natives and settled there en masse (N.
America and Rhodesia).

John

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Prev: Subject: Re: Neo-Punic Wars Next: RE: Neo-Punic Wars, was Re: [FAQ] FH what? ...