Prev: Re: FMAS Status? Next: Re: (SG2)Gunfight at the semi-OK Cor-Ral, really...

[SG] Multiple firings per activation

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:44:05 -0500
Subject: [SG] Multiple firings per activation

Chris,

My own experience with this is that it tends to
bog the game down. It becomes much more a
lie-still-and-shoot game and manouver tends to
get palsied by this option. Right now, with one
shot per unit per activation, we tend to see
some squads get so suppressed they can't get
out from under it... allowing a shot per action
really just exacerbates this result. I suppose
ones view on this largely depends on the squad
makeup, quality, leaderships, etc. that one
tends to work with - I tend to have two
fireteams per squad and moderate leadership
values, so obtaining pinning results isn't all that
hard for a defender, who already enjoys the
benefits of cover and IP. If it is a prepared
defense, he often also enjoys the benefits of
registered artillery (mortar or howitzer) and
CDMs.

Also, strictly from a mechanistic point of view, a
fire action is probably (with the possible
exception of Close Assault) the most dice
intensive part of the game. Fire actions usually
take more time to resolve than moves, going
IP, reorgs, comms, etc. so adding more of
them will only serve to slow the game.

Give it a try, it might work for you. But I find it
not only unnecessary, but often somewhat
deleterious. Some players I have played with
seemed to like it, though.

Tomb

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: FMAS Status? Next: Re: (SG2)Gunfight at the semi-OK Cor-Ral, really...