Prev: Re: Use of Elite SF Next: Re: FMAS Status?

Using Elite SOF

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 04:31:11 -0500
Subject: Using Elite SOF

Don wrote:
Well, I disagree somewhat.  :-)  Regarding
the Rangers, while their original purpose
was raiding, if the invasion worked there
wouldn't be any more raiding.

[Tomb] Really? Wherever there is a LoB,
there will also be an area behind that (the
rear area) where raiders that can
penetrate the LoB can strike. In the
modern day, heliborne and airborne
insertions and riverine insertions offer this
avenue. In the future, add spaceborne.

  Using elite forces to take targets that
*had* to be taken, even if they weren't
hundreds of miles behind enemy lines is
more or less doctrine, though I guess you
could argue Pointe du Hoc wrote that role
into Ranger doctrine.

[Tomb] Elite forces are sometimes used in
this role when 1) no one else is likely to
have the morale/gumption to get the job
done and 2) the task at hand is worth more
than the other tasks for which the elite
forces are trained and better suited. This
doesn't make this an optimal role for the
elite force.

 In addition, I really can't agree with your
last sentence.	"using them wrong" implies
(to me, I hasten to add) that you had a
choice and picked the wrong one.

[Tomb] Not at all, in this case. It means
that, considering their normal mission
profiles, their training, and their typical kit-
out, they will be best suited for particular
types of missions. Using them outside that
envelope opens them up to a greater
chance for losses and is therefore
suboptimal in many regards. Now, does
this mean you'll never do it? Of course not.
Sometime even combat engineers have to
pick up a rifle. Or clerks. But that doesn't
make this the "right use of them" to my
mind, just necessary.

  Doing something you must do removes the
possibility of it being either right or wrong;
it just is[1].

[Tomb] Right or wrong is sort of a poor
choice. Optimal or Sub-Optimal. Using a
tool for a job for which it is not well suited
may work, but it is not the optimal use of
the tool. If you use a $20,000 electronic
probe as a hammer, you may drive in a nail
which matters at the moment, but at some
point you're then footing a $20K bill for a
new probe. So the question you have to ask
is: Does driving this one nail now justify
the expenditure of a $20K probe? If the
answer is yes, then you go ahead. But if
the answer is "maybe", then you run the
risk of expending your elite troops outside
of their best-effect type of operation and
hurting your overall force efficiency and
efficacy.

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Use of Elite SF Next: Re: FMAS Status?