Prev: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications Next: Re: [FAQ] FH what? Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:30:05 -0500
Subject: Re: [DSII] Dozy question re: Command/Communications

At 1:11 PM -0800 12/5/02, John Atkinson wrote:
>Ah, but the Rangers were engaged in a legitemate SOF
>operation:  Climbing a cliff to kill at close range
>artillerymen who were not expecting or prepared for
>close combat.	Makes for a boring DSII game:  Either
>your guys get up the cliff and chew the gunners to
>tiny bits, or they slip and break their necks.

What all the other Commando units spread from Sword to Gold beach?
One difference is that many of these units had some seriously heavy
firepower available to them in very close response time. Having a
Light or Medium cruiser on the other end of a RT line is quite handy
when you need some heavy support fire.

>Put those same Rangers up against Panzers?  Fish food.

In your average situation, granted. Terrain can mitigate that some
though. The 1st Airborne held on for a bloody long time considering
their light nature against the remnants of 2 Panzer Divisions.

>From what I can understand of the operations on D-Day was that the
Commando units were tasked with getting a good distance to the flank
of the beaches to deal with artillery targets that would have taken
longer for a conventional line unit to reach.

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)