Prev: Re: Small Alien Empires Next: Re: Small Alien Empires

Re: [SG] asphalt bases

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 14:13:10 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: [SG] asphalt bases

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 13:44:36 -0500, "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
wrote :

> I'm basing my 15mm UN troops (hm, UN, KV, IF...I seem to take the Bad
> Guys a lot) and am wondering how to get the effect of asphalt.  Righ
> now I'm thinking to put on glue, then sand, then a glue/water mix over
> top, then paint it black (with the occasional white or yellow lines
> for pavement markings).  Any other ideas?

I've got some Car Wars minis that I've based with Asphalt bases, and I
quite like the
effect...I'm not sure how well it would work for your fiougres, though,
for reasons that
will become obvious....

Basically, I used Evergreen sheet styrene to make plastic bases of
regular size, and
then cut pieces of fine grade sandpaper to fit the plastic.  Painted it
black, drubrushed
it with a bit of gray, and it looks quite nice.

I don't know if you can easily cut these minis off thier bases; if not,
this will do you no
good at all.  As an alternative, you might try my favorite basing
material: Acrylic Gel
Medium.  They sell the stuff in several different textures, and while I
normally use the
Coarse grade on my bases (to give the effect of grass and/or dirt), the
Fine stuff dries to
a texture not unlike 25mm asphalt -- a grain, but a *very* fine grain.

The stuff is made by Liquitex, can be found in most art supply stores,
and is very easy
to work with.  I just glop it on with a dental tool, and let it dry
overnight.  The result is tough,
slightly flexible, and takes paint very well indeed.  Getting it
perfectly flat might be a little
difficult, but shouldn't be impossible if you're using the Fine grade.

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: Small Alien Empires Next: Re: Small Alien Empires