Prev: Re: [FH] Pantropists and John Crimmins was ecofundamentalists Next: Re: [FH] Pantropists and John Crimmins was ecofundamentalists

Re: [FH] Pantropists and John Crimmins was ecofundamentalists

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 19:12:46 -0500
Subject: Re: [FH] Pantropists and John Crimmins was ecofundamentalists

At 6:43 PM -0500 11/18/02, John Crimmins wrote:
>On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 16:36:02 -0500, "laserlight@quixnet.net"
>As to the other, though....  I recently read an excellent SF book
>called _Fallen
>Dragon_, by Peter F. Hamilton, that had a *very* similar scene.  The
natives
>do their share of killing the invaders, but seem far more interested
>in teaching
>them the error of their ways and comverting them to *their* life-style.

I rather liked the opposite direction in March Up Country and March to
the Sea.
The invaders (albeit temporary), manage to co-opt one of the towns
and start an industrial revolution by introducing all sorts of
advanced mechanical designs of 1860's level technology. When thrown
at the 1500's era technology of the rest of the planet, it's quite
amazing.

Of course the various rifles, rockets and a single M60 against the
mercenary tercio from 1632 was entertaining as heck.

It was the M-60 that broke them. One in five of those rounds was a
tracer. On that gray and cloudy day, the tracers blazed like streaks
of magic fire. To Tilly's men, and the Scots who watched, it seemed
as if a sorcerer's wand was smiting them down. Along with, seconds
later, the spitfire of a dragon. Ferrara and Jeff's confidence proved
to be warranted. The warheads on the rockets were not particularly
powerful, but the missiles themselves sped swift and true.
The center of the tercio finally caved in under the M-60's blazing
hammer blows. Holes were torn throughout the formation by the
rockets. And, everywhere in the first five ranks-and then the next,
and then the next, and then the next-men withered under the deadly
rifle fire. In less than two minutes after the battle erupted, the
proud and confident little army which had marched on Badenburg was an
utter ruin.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -