Prev: Veering [OT] Fundamentalists in general, was RE: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps Next: RE: [FH] World maps

Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 17:24:25 +0100 (CET)
Subject: Re: Seriously [OT] Fundamentalists in general

John Atkinson schrieb:

> --- "laserlight@quixnet.net" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
> > I think the word you want is "radical" rather than
> > "fundamentalist".  :-)
>
> "A usually religious movement or point of view
> characterized by a return to fundamental principles,
> by rigid adherence to those principles, and often by
> intolerance of other views and opposition to
> secularism."
>
> I dislike referring to anyone as a fundamentalist.
> Islamic fundamentalism is more or less the mainstream
> interpretation of that religion, so I save five
> syllables by simply saying "Islam" or "Muslims".  And
> so-called Christian fundamentalists generally spout
> not historical Christianity of the early Apostolic
> period, but a more recent heretical variation.

Hmmm...
>From the above definition, to be a 'fundamentalist' involves several
factors, not just the return to original principles, but also rigidity
and intolerance.

There are more than 1 Billion Muslims in the world, many of them do not
live in countries that have officially Islamic rule. Nor are more than
a minority of Muslims radical in the vein of Chomeini, bin Laden, the
Sauds and co. So how come you claim that 'fundamentalism is the
mainstream interpretation of that religion' ? Could you cite public
opinion polls to that effect ?

And those 'Christian' fundamentalists I am familiar with, all claim to
follow the original precepts (even if their claims may not be accurate)
and they certainly are rigid and intolerant.

Greetings
Karl Heinz