Prev: RE: UNSC pics Next: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps

RE: [FH] World maps

From: Oerjan Ohlson <oerjan.ohlson@t...>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 07:07:32 +0100
Subject: RE: [FH] World maps

Alan Brain wrote:

>Anyway (and on-topic) have you seen some of the correlation graphs
between
>rise
>in global temperature and interval between sunspot maxima? If they're
>reliable,
>it appears that any human-caused change is (so far) too small to be
>measureable.
>
>See http://www.irfl.lu.se/HeliosHome/solaractivitytemp.html

The local newsies picked this up a couple of years ago, but this is the
first time I've seen it on the web. It is a major embarrassment for the
Greenies BTW; they prefer to hush it down as much as possible. Can't
imagine why <g>

>Bad News if true - the change (about 0.5 degree/century) can't be
>counter-acted
>by anything we can do (finely manipulating the internals of the sun
isn't
>within
>our capability yet). We also don't have any idea how long the change
will last
>for.

If it is correct (and the evidence I've seen suggests that at least
holds a
very large grain of truth) there are some bad news, and some good news.
The
bad news are that we can't do anything about it and that all the
computer
models are wrong (since they "predict" the current temperature rise
without
taking variable solar activity into account, and thus probably
overstates
the CO2 etc. greenhouse effect by a factor lots); the good news OTOH is
that failing to implement the Kyoto protocol isn't automatically
disastrous
<g> and that this sort of thing has happened quite a few times before
(which we already knew from ice cores etc., of course) without causing
the
end of Earth.

Whether you count the problems the theory causes for the
eco-fundamentalists as "good news" or "bad news" depends on your point
of
view, I suppose :-)

Later,

Oerjan
oerjan.ohlson@telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
-Hen3ry

Prev: RE: UNSC pics Next: [FH] ecofundamentalists was RE: [FH] World maps