Prev: Re: [SG] Bounding advance Next: Re: laser vs. artillery shell....

Re: Evacuated Tube Transport

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:41:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Evacuated Tube Transport

At 2:58 PM +0100 11/6/02, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

>* the speed of the transport. Basically, you can move stuff cheaply and
>slowly or fast and expensively. Conventional rail is very slow - slower
>than trucks over almost any distance. Depending on your specific goods
>and the costs of delays in delivery, it can be more profitable to move
>stuff by air.

I don't know. I should suspect that when your loads get really really
large, you've got lower cost for transporting large heavy loads long
distances. Take a movement of military vehicles from Fort Hood Texas
to a port in Savannah. The military is far more likely to move
everything by rail than by truck. Fewer people have to be operational
at one time (one or two train crews vs a company or more of
transportation drivers, repair trucks for flats, etc).

I'll bet that for large loads, your costs and efficiency go up when
you're moving large loads over long distances. Otherwise, why would
inter-modal (container) transportation in the US rely so much on rail
for the long distance movement across the country?

Ryan Gill	       rmgill@SPAMmindspring.com
      |        |		   |	     -==----
      | O--=-  |		   |	    /_8[*]°_\
'60 Daimler Ferret '42 Daimler Dingo '42 Humber MkIV (1/2)

Prev: Re: [SG] Bounding advance Next: Re: laser vs. artillery shell....