Prev: Re: FTL communication, Kra'Vak and FH Next: Limited Info Wargaming

Re: [semi-OT] webpage colours was RE: [FH, FICTION] Karla's Kidnap (a nd Rot Hafen)

From: "Steve Pugh" <steve@p...>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2002 01:53:56 -0000
Subject: Re: [semi-OT] webpage colours was RE: [FH, FICTION] Karla's Kidnap (a nd Rot Hafen)

> Just as a quick whip around, what is the general consensus on web
stuff I
> was going to do a plain colour background with lighter test when I
> eventually (don't hold your breath) get around to doing up my stuff
for the
> web. I was thinking this way because we're a dyslexic friendly family
(and
> black text on white background is a big no-no for them) and I
personally
> find it easier, but is this just another Fultonian quirk? ;)

There's a lot of urban myths about this...

Despite what most designers are taught it is not automatically more
difficult to read light in dark when compared to dark on light.

But I've found that the with respect to the web the best rules are as
follows:

1. Check that the contrast is suffiecient on a wide range of monitors
(I use a laptop these days and so often run into sites that have
crappy contrast for me, but which are probably fine for 'proper'
monitors).

2. If you use light text on dark backgrounds then under no
circumstances make the text smaller than the default; as dark tends
to bleed into light in most monitors.

3. If you use dark text on light backgrounds then consider an off-
white colour for the background as it makes reading large amounts of
text more easier (and may help the dyslexics in your family, though
that varies from individual to individual).

	Steve

--
The Ground Zero Games Meta-FAQ is available at
http://steve.pugh.net/gzg/meta-faq.txt

Steve Pugh   <steve@pugh.net>	<http://steve.pugh.net/>

Prev: Re: FTL communication, Kra'Vak and FH Next: Limited Info Wargaming