Prev: RE: Numerous bits Next: Re: Numerous bits

Re: FIREFLY

From: David Brewer <davidbrewer@b...>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 20:58:17 +0000
Subject: Re: FIREFLY

Allan Goodall wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:58:10 -0500, Adrian Johnson
> <adrian.johnson@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >Caught it every week so far.  I really like the show - the characters
are
> >quite engaging.
>
> I've only seen the first episode, but I have the others on tape. This
has more
> to do with me being a big Buffy and Angel fan (unfortunately I missed
almost
> all of Buffy last season, and will miss this season, because this area
doesn't
> have UPN).

Nobody with broadband internet need miss Buffy, Angel or Firefly.
There's no UPN for... thousands of miles here yet not only am I
current with all three shows, I often see them a day before they
are broadcast. Even modem users can find 75-80MB DivX downloads.
Buffy season 6 should be out and about in 400-450MB MPEG files for
burning as VCDs that play in a DVD player. (Season 6 was good,
except for Willow's dreadful storylines, there's some very funny
stuff.)

I'm enjoying Firefly very much, it's like a Traveller campaign. My
powers of criticism are limited here because I never started
watching Farscape, so I can't compare it with that. Compared to
the Trek shows it's very refreshing... no rubberfaced aliens
(Buffy has enough of them) no episodes where the officers strut
about their brightly-lit office-like enormoship ordering around a
faceless crew of minions, the Serenities actually have to go
places, land, walk about, interact with and shoot people with guns
that go bang and make people bleed.

Unfortunately, they always land in the same place, the planet
where everyone thinks it's nineteenth century America, but without
the slavery and genocide. (Captain! Historic Revisionism off the
Starboard Bow!) I can live with it. The baddies all carry SA80s,
so all their rifles should jam up in the dusty environment. Stupid
SA80.

I've also found not-very-good-quality MPEGs of the unaired Firefly
pilot, oddly in PAL format.

--
David Brewer

"The mentally disturbed do not employ the Theory of Scientific
Parsimony: the most simple theory to explain a given set of
facts." - P.K.Dick (from VALIS)

Prev: RE: Numerous bits Next: Re: Numerous bits