Prev: Re: SG II - where to purchase Next: Re: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Report - 5 of 5

Re: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Report - 5b of 5

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:35:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Report - 5b of 5

Overall IF reply:
Had a great time, much kudos to Allan for GMing this!

   My orders were to launch a spoiling attack.	However, IF doctrine
calls for "operational offensive, tactical defensive".	Attacking
implies mobility; mobility, for infantry, implies staying in the
vehicles; and  staying in the vehicles implies having a really bad day
if someone pops up and plugs you with a few IAVR or GMS/L.  I've seen
infantry squads wiped out with one good IAVR, I didn't care to risk
it.  Further, my militia were mostly D4 quality--I couldn't expect
them to hold the bunkers for long, much less do any counterattacking.
  Therefore I decided to "creatively reinterpret" my orders--I'd
defend the three routes by which I thought Roger might attack, and
then when I figured out which axis the NSL was coming on, I'd shift
squads from the other axes and counterattack.  This would let me make
use of the minefields, and also let me make use of my large squads--an
IF 11 man squad can fire twice and put some respectable dice on each
target.
   In addition, part of my plan was psychological--I wanted to Roger
to keep seeing new units pop up in unexpected places, and be worried
about how much I had left.  That's the reason for leaving 12 hidden so
long, for example.  Then, at the appropriate moment--ie *before* Roger
saw what a paper tiger was standing in front of him--I offered the
cease fire and with a little prodding from a few timely successes on
my attack rolls (and to my *great* relief), he accepted.

Prev: Re: SG II - where to purchase Next: Re: [SG2] PBEM AAR - Valley of Death - Report - 5 of 5