Prev: Numerous bits Next: RE: FTL communication, Kra'Vak and FH

RE: [SG] Smoke

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:08:10 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Smoke

Hi,

My take on the "smoke issue" in SG is that I agree with Allan that it
should definately cost an action, BUT that you can not throw smoke while
suppressed.

Why?

Two reasons, mainly.  Smoke can be used tactically - ie not just chucked
randomly about, but rather *placed* exactly where you want it.	To be
able
to position smoke grenades, whether or not they're fired from a rifle's
GL
or thrown, requires a certain degree of "aiming", and if I can aim a
smoke
grenade accurately to a spot within 60 meters of my position, why can't
do the same thing with an explosive grenade?  Second reason is the
range.
Smoke can be deployed up to 6" from the squad - 60 m.  A squad that is
suppressed is assumed to be ducking behind whatever cover is available
and
hunkering down to avoid incoming fire.	Try throwing a grenade (or rock,
or
baseball, or whater) while you're lying down behind a bush.  How far do
you
think you can throw?  60 meters?  Not bleedin' likely.	To be able to
*accurately* (we get back to the "used tactically" issue) throw
something
60 m, one has to be able to *at least* get to one's knees (if strong),
and
probably be on foot.  Or using a grenade launcher, and aiming.	And
again,
if I can do it with smoke, why can't I do it with explosive grenades?

If squads that are suppressed are allowed to throw smoke grenades to
60m,
but aren't allowed to throw *explosive* hand grenades at an enemy squad
that is 60m away... that creates a situation that doesn't make sense.

So, we play that "blowing smoke" is a fire action, and can't be done
while
suppressed.

However... I started off by saying "...not just chucked randomly
about..."
What happens if that is *exactly* what someone would like to do - ie
have
each squad member activate a smoke grenade at his current position, and
roll it away just a meter or two.  In effect, the squad "blows smoke" on
its' current position, and in-game, the squad gets covered with smoke
markers.  I've seen that tactic used a number of times.  From a "real
life"
perspective, it sort of makes sense IF the squad has the means to avoid
incapacitation by the smoke (ie the smoke is produced by some means that
doesn't make it difficult for them to breathe, or they all have
respirators
or something).	It does mean the squad can't see anybody around them,
but
conversely, within the rules, they can't be shot at.

There doesn't seem to be any "rules" reason to prevent people from
"blowing
smoke" on their own position (and my jury is out on whether this counts
as
"cheesy" or not), and if they want to do that, why wouldn't they be able
do it while suppressed?  It doesn't require the same kind of aiming
effort
that accurately placing smoke grenades 60m would.

However... if you interpret "suppression" as being mostly psychological
(ie
the troops are freaked out, and aren't doing anything because they are
scared to death and are huddling down), then we're back to "no smoke" -
they're just not thinking straight enough to do this either...

I personally don't want a system that involves different rules for
different leadership/quality levels (though that might make more
"realistic" sense) - one simple mechanism to keep the game going quickly
is
what I prefer.

SO... no smoke while suppressed.

(or maybe you can if you're suppressed, but in cover)

(or maybe you can, if you're suppressed, but you're regular quality or
better)

(or maybe you can, if you're regular quality or better and you make a
leadership test with a penalty equal to the number of suppressions)

(or....)

:)

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Numerous bits Next: RE: FTL communication, Kra'Vak and FH