Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: Re: [SG] Smoke

Re: [SG] Smoke

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@h...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:38:07 -0600
Subject: Re: [SG] Smoke

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 12:54:52 -0500, Yves Lefebvre <ivanohe@abacom.com>
wrote:

>It might be OK to allow smoke to be fired when suppressed. However, I
think
>you should have penality for each suppression marker. Maybe something
like
>TL = # of suppression? Else, I think it is too powerfull : With
>reactivation, a squad with 3 suppression could use one action to put
smoke,
>and the 3 other to try removing suppression without fear of getting new
>one. A roll will make the above more difficult to pull out.

It definitely needs to be tested, but I don't think it's too terribly
powerful. It eats up an action to throw smoke, which can't be used to
unsuppress. So, if you have suppression 1, you are better off trying to
unsuppress. If you are at suppression 3 you are already at the max. It's
when
you're at suppression 2 that it makes the most sense to pop smoke.

Assuming I do it for a unit that's at Sup2, I can throw smoke and then
unsuppress (since I have OW rules, you don't want to do it the other way
around). That gives you a Sup1 unit that no longer has LOS to the enemy
due to
the smoke it just dropped. Would I waste a reactivation on that unit to
remove
suppression? Perhaps, but perhaps I'd be better off finding someone else
fire at.

What I think this does is gives a Sup2 unit a fighting chance. I often
see
Sup2 units being fired on to get them up to Sup 3, taking them out of
commission for about two activations (it's likely that you'll blow one
of 3
unsuppress attempts). If the unit isn't IP, or -- god help them -- they
are
out in the open, a single suppression can destroy a unit. Smoke is the
only
way, realistically and in the game, to save the unit.

I don't think it would be overpowering, but I'm just guessing. It really
does
need to be tested. See my reply to Ryan for an addition to this.

http://www.hyperbear.com

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: Re: [SG] Smoke