Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: Re: [SG] Smoke

RE: [SG] Smoke

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:06:58 -0500
Subject: RE: [SG] Smoke

At 10:37 AM -0700 10/30/02, B Lin wrote:
>Perhaps there need to be tech levels for smoke:
>
>Tech 1 - basic smoke (white phosphorous, diesel on a hot manifold...)
>Tech 2 - Basic smoke, chemical additives to block IR lasers
>Tech 3 - BS + IR blocking + IR decoys
>Tech 4 - Tech 3 + metallic particle smoke to block millimeter radar
>Tech 5 - Tech 4 + active electronic jammers

I've recently started looking at how to safely make smoke for WWII
re-enacting that's cheaper than what one gets in maritime emergency
smoke devices. There are a few companies that provide the components
and discuss a number of books on this topic. One thing that strikes
me after having read about this is that the Hot smoke that blocks IR
will be a bit of a problem close to infantry.

When you're closed down inside a tank, Hot IR smoke isn't really a
problem. When you're a PBI, something that is spewing hot components
that are still combusting into the air, might be cause for some alarm
if it get's thrown too close.

Basically the way most smokes work is by ejecting partially burnt
combustion byproducts or liquid into the air where they attract water
vapor and make the nice dense smoke clouds we know and love. The
mechanism is actually pretty detailed in that you don't want complete
combustion as that makes your smoke less effective. You want a
cooling function inside the container that keeps the combustion temps
down to a certain degree. Things like Cellulose are used to slow the
combustion process between the oxidizer and the propellant that
vaporizes the dyes and components that give you the smoke particles.

(Now this is just an educated WAG) The "Hot" smoke, I suspect
probably ejects still combusting oxidizer, propellant and dye/agent
that burns in the air creating your IR screen as well as the smoke.
This means that you've got a pretty violent reaction in the canister
ejecting material in the air and this up near your Infantry. They
probably won't like having this stuff too close or in and among
themselves.

Any Chemist types know more about this mechanism and hot smoke function?

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-	 The director of Home Security encourages you to       -
-	   turn in your neighbor & spy on your friends.        -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [SG] Smoke Next: Re: [SG] Smoke