Prev: Re: Ping Next: Flying tank

Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 22:57:47 +1100
Subject: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

From: <Beth.Fulton@csiro.au>

> I can't speak for all the ADFA entrants, but the group from my high
school
> year all joined up to get an education. In small towns like where I
went
> school the only way out was to join the army or bag a scholarship. So
> they're pragmatists at the very least ;)

They're also some of the "best and brightest". Getting into ADFA is
hard.
My Pet Peeve is that although the Royal Australian Navy Midshipmen and
Royal
Australian Air Force Officer Cadets get enough time for "Ackers" -
Academic
study - very often the Army Officer Cadets don't. A helluva waste.

And the regs (regulars) who get streamed in have to go back to their
units rather than have the chance to get their masters or doctorate.
Or even do an honours year (and that *really* gets my goat).

IMHO this is "eating the seed corn" - the people that really excel (top
5%)
should be given the chance to show their excellence academically, THEN
go
into
procurement and similar technical roles after further time in the field,
and
should be promoted accordingly. We *need* their expertise in order to
help
define requirements for hi-tech gear.

Still haven't heard news about some of my ex-students who were probably
in
Bali,
- and no news is not good news - so am feeling a bit depressed about the
whole
matter.

Prev: Re: Ping Next: Flying tank