Prev: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units Next: [OT}The Shah of Iran was: Mixed combat units

Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 07:49:12 +0100
Subject: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

----- Original Message -----
From: "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@hyperbear.com>
> History has shown that women make good soldiers.

>From "At War without Weapons" by S.B.Husum, a Danish UN peacekeeper
during
the Bosnian war (p.166):

"One morning he [a Muslim Bosnian officer] told us with a deep sigh that
the
previous night they had lost one of their six female front-line soldiers
a sniper in the ruins of Bosanska Krupa's old castle. Female soldiers in
support and auxiliary roles were commonplace but female combat soldiers
were
a very rare breed indeed.
As I had never met one, I asked the brigade commander how they got on
compared to their male counterparts. Without a moment's hesitation he
answered that they were highly efficient, cold-blooded fighting machines
who
managed to stay coolest in the worst situations. I must admit that came
as
quite a shock, but on reflection I could see some kind of perverse logic
it. The call-up to Armija BiH [the Bosnian army] did not include women,
so
the few females fighting at the front line were all volounteers and
therefore highly moitivated. Those who did choose to wrestle with the
validity of the normal and accepted role of women in war were,
therefore,
most decidedly loners with almost unlimited willpower and gigantic
self-confidence"

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units Next: [OT}The Shah of Iran was: Mixed combat units