Prev: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units Next: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

From: Damond Walker <dwalker@s...>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 22:51:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units

On 10/28/02 9:45 PM, "Allan Goodall" <agoodall@hyperbear.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of reasons given by certain members of the military as
to why
> they don't want women in combat positions. Most of them are completely
bogus.
> History has shown that women make good soldiers. I read an excellent
article
> in Military History Quarterly on the British women who had combat
roles in
> WW2... as flak gunners. They were allowed to do everything but pull
the
> trigger (as it was seen as wrong to have a woman actually kill a man).
They
> destroyed almost all the myths of why women couldn't be in combat.
And, yes,
> they came under fire. A number of women died in attacks on their
emplacements.

    True enough.  Weren't there also hordes (well, maybe not hordes) of
combatant females in the Russian army during WW2?

> I hadn't heard about the biology thing, though I can't for the life of
me
> think of what could be the problem, biologically speaking. This sounds
like
> someone justifying their own prejudices.

    Another excuse I'm sure.  But the biological side deals with
sanitary
conditions mostly, periods, etc.  Women have more nooks and crannies I
guess. ;)

Damo

Prev: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units Next: Re: [SG] Mixed combat units