Prev: Re: planetary invasion games. Next: Re: planetary invasion games.

RE: turning ships in line ahead?

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:27:52 +1000
Subject: RE: turning ships in line ahead?

On Tuesday, October 08, 2002 9:50 PM, Hugh Fisher
[SMTP:laranzu@ozemail.com.au] wrote:

>  But if the ships are closer together, say 2", they can't
>  turn and stay in line ahead. Real world ships or aircraft
>  would have the leader turn straight away, the second ship
>  move 2" and then turn, the third ship 4", and so on. It's
>  exactly the same velocity and turn amount, but can't be done
>  under a literal interpretation of the cinematic rules.

>  Has anyone come up with a house rule or convention for
>  allowing this kind of turn? My idea would be a new "follow"
>  movement order that allows ships in line ahead to maintain
>  a fixed relative position to the one ahead. (Provided the
>  ship ahead doesn't accelerate or turn faster than it can,
>  of course.)

If you have your ships in base to base contact, you can use the Squadron
movement rules.  Can't remember the page reference, but you write one
set of
orders and all ships maintain their formation on the lead ship
regardless of
maneuvers.
It's usually not used for ships larger than DDs unless it's a really
large
game.

Brendan
'Neath Southern Skies - http://home.pacific.net.au/~southernskies/

Prev: Re: planetary invasion games. Next: Re: planetary invasion games.