Prev: Re: Out of space for scratchbuild pix? No problemo! Next: Re: Re:Midgard Serpent

Re:Midgard Serpent

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t... (K.H.Ranitzsch)
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 13:13:13 +0200
Subject: Re:Midgard Serpent

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@webone.com.au>
> From: "Brian Burger" <yh728@victoria.tc.ca>
>
> > Karl, could you give a bit of German-English translation help? I ran
that
> > Midgard Serpent page
(http://www.geocities.com/madsin72/midgard.html)
thru
> > Babelfish, and mostly understood what it gave back, but it also left
me
> > with the following line: "580 large pressluftflaschen and a large
nebula
> > thrower".
> >  The orginal German seems to be "580 grosse Pressluftflaschen
> > und einen grossen Nebelwerfer geben".
>
> 50 large compressed(?) air/gas flasks and a large Nebelwerfer.

Correct

> Nebel = Fog
> Werfer = Thrower or Projector (a Werfel is a die, something that is
thrown)

> A Nebelwerfer is a Chemical/Smoke Projector.

In the early 1930's (the date of the project) those would have been a
type
of light mortar designed for throwing smoke shells.

> Except... that in WW2 the large salvo rocket launchers, sometimes
described
> as "multiple barrelled mortars" weren't usually used for making
instant
> smokescreens, they usually had HE warheads.

These rocket launchers were only developed in the late 1930's and not
used
operationally in the early years of WWII.

Greetings
Karl Heinz

Prev: Re: Out of space for scratchbuild pix? No problemo! Next: Re: Re:Midgard Serpent