Prev: Re: [SGII] Close Encounters Of The Exceedingly Violent Kind Next: Re: [SGII] Close Encounters Of The Exceedingly Violent Kind

Re: [SGII] Close Encounters Of The Exceedingly Violent Kind

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:31:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [SGII] Close Encounters Of The Exceedingly Violent Kind

On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:25:12 -0500, Allan Goodall <agoodall@att.net>
wrote :

> On Mon, 7 Oct 2002 14:45:53 -0400 (EDT), "John Crimmins"
> <johncrim@voicenet.com> wrote:
>
> >Now, I need to come up with some Close Combat rules that reflect
that, while they are still
> >hard to kill, the Grays really suck at hand-to-hand combat.	Maybe a
d12 roll for CC, but if a
> >Gray wins he inflicts no damage?
>
> I'll have to read up on the rest of what you wrote before posting
ideas.
> However, Greys are bad at CC?

These guys, at least, yeah.  I'm seeing these guys as being pretty much
overwhelmed in CC; they're not that used to violence of any sort, let
alone actually
hitting someone.

> Slight spoiler for the movie _Signs_.

Eeek!  Haven't seen it yet!  Want to, though, and will as soon as the
video arrives.

My actual inspiration was twofold: the first is a book called
_Nighteyes_ ,by Judith
and Garfield Reeves-Stevens,  which has a really interesting take on the
whole Alien
abduction thingie.  _Nighteyes_ has the Grays as the distant descendants
of the
human race, who have traveled back in time to harvest genetic material
in an attempt
to perpetuate the race after millenia of war has resulted in a severely
depleted gene pool.

One of the nice touches was an exchange between a Gray and a modern
human, after
the modern human asks whether there really is alien life out there.
"There *was*," the
Gray says, and then goes on to explain that "We won."

The other is a half-remembered report of an alien encounter from a book
of "True UFO
Stories" that I read when I was a kid: The Hopkinsville Goblins.
There's a brief account
(and a picture!) on this page:

http://www.tangledforest.com/states1/kentuckyx.html

--