Prev: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Personal hoody-hoo

Empire Building Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:40:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Empire Building Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo

--- Derk Groeneveld <derk@cistron.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Sep 2002, John Atkinson wrote:
>
> > The whole point of Imperium or Hegemony is to
> crush
> > the liberties of those states (or pre-state
> > populations, such as most of those you mention)
> who
> > are inclined to causing trouble.
>
> Ah yes, indeed. I am sure all those indiginous
> people were BOUND to come
> looking for the good old British Islands to come
> pick a fight.

I think this discussion was originally about the
possibility of imposing order on the rest of the
planet.

Now, if you prefer anarchy on your TV screens, then
you are demonstrably in the minority.  Most of Europe
(and a sizable percentage of 'Mericans) get all weepy
when they watch starvation, warfare, murder, and
massive refugee movements on CNN.  Then then demand
that 'something must be done.'

The only realistic thing that can be done is imposing
order on those people by force.  Killing enough of the
troublemakers that the rest decide it is in their
interest to shut up, sit down, and leave their
neighbors alone.

That's all I'm saying.	I'm not judging the morality
of doing so.  I'm just saying that doing so
necessarily involves kicking over a few flowerpots.
Anything else doing the job half-way and in the long
term is too expensive in blood and treasure.

John

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

Prev: Re: [OT] Liberals was: Personal hoody-hoo Next: Re: [OT] Personal hoody-hoo