Prev: Re: SNAFU Next: UFO minis

RE: Population Models

From: Beth.Fulton@c...
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:55:46 +1000
Subject: RE: Population Models

G'day,

Forgot to mention that for the people I've done population calcs before,
don't sweat it that your answers don't match the middle of the range
scenario. I loaded pre-made defaults here which won't match your
specifics
on immigration, terraforming, patterns of distribution etc (e.g. Noam
has NI
on Earth as well as in space, as a first cut I don't).

Also feel free to mix and match the values a bit. For instance
Laserlight's
view of the IF fits well with using middle of the range Earth IF
population,
but for his offworld IF population its closer to the high estimate (i.e.
under his specifications the calcs give about a billion on Earth and
about a
billion in space if I remember correctly). Tying very low Earth
estimates
with high off-world estimates is trickier, though OK if you say that it
was
a not so easily reversible ecological disaster that squished Earth and
that
we had the tech to set up replacement vital industry and infrastructure
on
colonised worlds and that immigration flows between these worlds rather
than
from Earth.

Cheers

Beth