Prev: Re: KHR's pics Next: Whoops, stored as a draft instead of sent*blush* Re: Dan Dare animated series

Re: [DSII] Air Defense

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2002 10:48:11 +1200
Subject: Re: [DSII] Air Defense

John wrote:
> LAD:	Appears to be incredibly useless.  Costs 75 points and does
nothing
except self-defense, even if the aircraft does a DFO on the infantry
platoon
400 to the left.  12" range overall, which makes it useless for vehicles
carry, as any self-respecting aerospace jock is going to be packing
GMS/H
for popping vehicles.  Proposed fix: All it to target ANY aerospace
units in
12", but only one per turn, making you sweat when and where to use it in
heavy aerospace environment.  This system is nearly ineffective unless
grouped in units of at least 2.

> By capacity cost, and based on the 'fluff text', this system can best
be
thought of as a Stinger-style GMS/L/AA, but with most of the range being
'up' and not 'out'.  Perhaps allowing it to target VTOLs at ranges of up
24 might be a useful change?

I agree.

>From my site at: http://valley.150m.com/Dirtside/Aerospace.html
If in Range, any Local Area Defence can Attack
If a element equipped with a LAD system and is within 12" of a enemy air
vehicle, it can attack the air vehicle as if the element were being
attacked
by the air vehicle. Like all area defence fire, this does NOT cause the
unit
to lose its own activation chance. This models typical anti-aircraft
fire,
which is fired by every unit capable of it.

Also, just because the table ends, Area Defence does not end. The Local
or
Zone Area Defence still can fire at aerospace craft that would have
flown
nearby, if the table was larger. We believe that the points cost of LAD
in
the rules is too expensive. We suggest that a points cost of 15 points
is
more appropriate. Also a capacity of 1 point is better suited to the
system.
Some in our group suggest that LAD is actually an abreviation of
Laughable
Air Defence!

> ZADS: By rules mechanics, this is a conventional autocannon.	Based on
the
capacity changes, one can imagine that the various grades represent
different calibers of autocannon (23/57/85??).	In this case, they
should be
treated differently for purposes of ground combat.  Instead of being
treated
as an RFAC/2, they should be treated as twin-linked RFAC/1, /2, or
HVC/3.
This would then make the capacity ratings make sense, the guns plus a
blanket 5 points of capacity for the sensors and electronics.  We know
they
are entirely automated because they are highly effective vs. GMSs, and
no
human has that kind of reflexes.

And from: http://valley.150m.com/Dirtside/Combat%20and%20Armour.html

Other Weapons for Area Defense Systems
To use another direct fire weapon system (other than RFAC/2, HVC/3 and
HVC/4
equivalents), mount your chosen twin weapons in a turret, and work out
the
cost for the twin weapons. Multiply the cost by ten and that is the
price of
the system in points.

The range of the system is equal to long range of the individual weapon
systems. To make this system consistent with the current ADS, the DSII
basic
ADS/ZAD should only have range of 24" (RFAC/2 max. range), and the DSII
enhanced ADS/ZAD should only have a range of 32" (HVC/3 max. range).

The ADS quality die is based on the size of the weapon: size 1 to size 5
is
D4 to D12 respectively. Draw damage chits equal to size class of weapon.
Even though two weapon systems are fitted, only one set of damage chits
are
drawn. Damage validities as per existing ADS damage validities, i.e. all
chits count.

If you want, you can use a single weapon instead. Just install it in a
turret, and multiply the points cost by 10. But, only RED chits are
valid.
If you want ALL chits valid, multiply the points cost by 20 instead of
10.

Or you can install quad weapons. Just install them in a turret, and
multiply
the points cost by 5. ALL chits will be valid.

You could install three weapons in turret, multiply by 5, but you will
only
get RED and YELLOW chits valid.

> The cost of ZADs is prohibitive.

I'd agree. I've assumed it's because it's a defence against aerospace
which
are higher cost, and because of the number of times the weapon can fire.
If
the weapon only fires when the unit activates, then the points cost
should
be a lot lower, perhaps 1/10 ?

Andrew Martin
ICQ: 26227169 http://valley.150m.com/