Prev: SELWG Show Next: Gundam toys Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

From: Indy <kochte@s...>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 08:37:26 -0400
Subject: Re: Submarines was Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!

devans@nebraska.edu wrote:

> ***
>
> Okiefanokie! Scale was probably the wrong term, on further thought.
Raw
> size is better, and now I've an idea of what you're thinking.

Ah, finally, someone as twisted as me.	:-)

> The some of micromachines are still available, and there are similar,
if
> larger, Hot Wheels items. Also, some 1/72 and 1/48 aircraft ordinance
kits
> have bombs that can give you the basic teardrop shaped hulls of more
modern
> subs, and the fins off of one bomb/rocket might work for a 'sail' on
the
> 'hull' of another bomb/rocket. The question becomes, can you find a
close
> enough size.

I have one Star Wars Calamari Cruiser that is perfect size, but I'm
flexible in what I use. :-)  And being that this *is* supposed to be
futuristic, I think I may now have a use for the Minbari cruiser
micro machines, too...	 ;-)

> If you want futuristic sub 'fighters', the way the Stingrays are used,
some
> of the weirder rockets, especially the canard-equiped, might be
exciting.

I was actually toying with using some of my GZG fighters; they would
work pretty well for this role.

> I noticed that the article's game used fairly large models as escorted
> targets. There were several model sets released close to Hunt for Red
> October, both licensed and opportunistic. The LA and Akula are
relatively
> small ships, maybe an inch in diameter for the larger, but the Typhoon
is a
> MONSTER.

:-)

> Even now, these seem to pop up here and there. Likewise, if you see a
full
> Space Shuttle kit, the fuel tank is a possibility.

Good point.

> You DO promise to share your FT ideas, right? I noticed the link to
the
> FT-derived rules has gone doggo...

I promise. I've gotten most of my ideas all written up, but in a Word
doc right now, and somewhat disorganized (at least *I* know what's
where, but the flow is....disjointed ;-).

Indy

Prev: SELWG Show Next: Gundam toys Re: Maisto Vehicles are Back at Wal-Mart!