Prev: Re: GPS Next: RE: Thinking out loud. . .

RE: GPS

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 11:55:45 -0600
Subject: RE: GPS

For a really basic description of GPS:

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/

Currently civilian GPS is about the same accuracy as military GPS (about
3m) but when SA (Selective Availability) was active the accuracy for
civilians was 100's of m to 1.5 km.  The military turned off SA a few
years ago.

The military reserves the right to add SA whenever they wish as GPS is a
military system which they happen to allow civilians to use.  As it is a
US military system it makes our European Allies a bit nervous and they
are setting up their own GPS satellite network.

Differential GPS depends on known land sites to send out GPS signals -
effectively becoming another GPS satellite, however they are limited by
radio range to be effective.  Such locations would be known or easily
discovered and could be knocked out in a war, since they have to
transmit to be effective.

Who says military research doesn't have civilian applications? :)

--Binhan