Prev: Re: Thinking out loud. . . Next: Re: GPS

Re: GPS

From: Robert Crawford <crawford@k...>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 13:35:29 -0400
Subject: Re: GPS

Thomas Barclay wrote:
> I'm sure I'm labouring under a few incorrect
> impressions, so someone around here who is in
> the know can clear things up:
>
> 1) Has not GPS (civilian side) been given up to
> some sort of open system? (If so, wouldn't
> futzing up parts of it be problematic?)

I'm not sure what you mean by "open system". The GPS system's always
been pretty open, at least the civilian side.

> 2) Can differential GPS (multi-receiver) defeat or
> significantly attenuate the futzing up signal?
> (That is, can't differential GPS be used in such a
> way as to amerliorate the effects of signal
> uncertainty introduction)?

Yes. However, both the mobile and stationary receivers have to have one
or more satellites in common. The correction is on a
satellite-by-satellite basis, so the more you have in common the better.

 > If so, the only
 > receivers that will be seriously futzed by the
 > fuzz that can be inserted (fuzz substituting for
 > any real technical understanding....) would be
 > the non-differential single receiver GPSes,
 > correct? (And yes, these are the more common
 > variety IIRC)

Yes.

> 3. If the US (or anyone) were to fuzz up a
> signal coming from someplace and this caused
> some manner of disaster (air crash, ship to run
> aground and sink, etc), wouldn't that be a very
> bad thing? (Yes, I know secondary navigation
> methods are meant to verify positions, but
> people ARE becoming GPS dependent).  I
> realize when weighed against a large scale
> offensive, these risks are minimal, however I can
> see someone attempting some form of
> litigation... (Land of the Free, Home of the
> Lawyer)

I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation that funds the GPS system --
and pays for the civilian side -- doesn't exclude the government from
damages. The government's funny that way...

Prev: Re: Thinking out loud. . . Next: Re: GPS